Monday, February 25, 2013

Wake Up, June - You're Dreaming Again, Darlin'!

Tex tells me that I have a June Cleaver complex.

I probably do (although, just between you and me, I'm probably making way better strides than I should in taiming that particular anality).

There ya go; y'all heard it first here, folks.

*~*~*~*~*
Tex loves NASACR.  Absolutely LOVES it.  I asked him last night how long he had been watching NASCAR.  He didn't know for sure; but he does remember seeing some races when he was still a very young boy.

He's not so much into the Nationwide series as he is the Sprint Cup series . . . so he does his NASCARing on Sunday afternoons (just in case y'all wanted to know this information).

It was back in December of last year when he first started mentioning February 24th and the Daytona 500 . . . the beginning of the 2013 racing season.  Considering that the 2012 season had only been completed for about a month at that point, I had to laugh.  The man definitely loves his NASCAR.

For the curious, his favorite driver is #24 Jeff Gordon.
For the ultra curious, my favorite driver is #48 Jimmie Johnson (although, admittedly, I'm usually doing other things during a race - cooking in the kitchen, surfing the web of world-wideness, couch- snoozing . . .).  I do watch a few minutes here and a few minutes there; especially if something involves Jimmie or Jeff.

*~*~*~*~*
Back to June . . . the woman, not the month.

*~*~*~*~*
I mark important dates on my calendar.  Such electronic scribblings also include things that are important to Tex.  NASCAR is definitely important to Tex; so, back in December when he first mentioned it, I marked the Opening Day of the Sprint Cup Season on my calendar.

I also decided I wanted to make some snacks for him to munch on during the race.
After thinking about it for a while and getting his input ("something cheesy"), I decided to make home-made cheese crackers (you know . . . those tiny square cheesy crackers).  I also wanted to make potato boats made with salsa, ground sausage and cheese (and, of course, potatoes).

*~*~*~*~*
This is where my mind started assimilating June Cleaver.

Oh, I could just picture how the entire day would go!
Tex and I would go to church; and on the way home, we would stop at the grocery store so I could pick up the necessary ingredients (the rain and wind of the previous few days had prevented me from triking up to the store during the work week).  We'd come home, I'd start the various culinary preparations and Tex would soon leave for softball practice (another sport season that's beginning this week). 

I'd be wearing a lovely floral apron that never got dirty, and the kitchen would remain immaculate throughout the entire process.  The puppy girls would even don little white kitchen-assistant aprons and would gleefully help me in various ways.  Sun would be shining into every corner and crevice of the house; the natural illumination would be wondrous to behold.

After practice, Tex would come home, the crackers would just be coming out of the oven to cool (in perfect timing, doncha know - great timing is so very essential) and I would be cooking the sausage that would later be used for the potato boats.  The kitchen would still be immaculate.

Tex would turn on the tv, go to the recorded programs and select the race (we *always* record the races; just in case there's something going on that prevents us from watching the race live; such as yesterday's softball practice).

We'd munch on cheese crackers for part of the race, and later we would happily enjoy our potato boats as a snack / dinner as we watch the rest of the race.

Oh, Norman Rockwell would have been so proud.  Had he been able to, he most likely would have taken pencil in hand and begun to memorialize the happy home right then and there.  But, uhm, not only do dead people tell no tales, but they also paint no pictures.  'Tis a pity; I rather like the idea of Mr. Rockwell painting a picture of Tex watching NASCAR.

*~*~*~*~*
Wake up, June - you're dreaming again, Darlin'!

Shall I tell you how the day *really* went?  Yes; I think I will.

We wake up (so far, so good).

Skipping ahead a couple of hours . . . we arrived at church and took our seats. 
Skipping ahead a bit more, Tex's phone started vibrating.  Yep.  Work.
Tex is on call 24/7/365.  So.  We packed up and left for home so he could drop me off and then head for work. 

That meant that we were not going to stop at the grocery store on the way home from church.
Fiddle.  Faddle, even!

While at work, Tex received a text that softball practice had been cancelled, and he called me to let me know and to also tell me how much longer he thought he would be at work.  He also told me how beautiful of a day it was.

Since it was such a beautiful day, I called Tex back to tell him that I was going to trike up to the grocery store to get the ingredients for our Norman Rockwell Racing party (hey - who says it takes more than two people to have a party?!).

Shoes.  Check.
Helmet.  Check.
Trike. Check (it always helps to have a trike when one wants to go triking).
Purse.  Check.
Sunglasses.  Check
Grocery List.  Check.
Wallet.  Check.
Visa Cards.  Uhm . . . WHERE are my visa cards???

SO!  I called my husband (again) and told him I wasn't going to the store afterall and the reason as to why not.  He told me he was going to be leaving work soon and that we could go to the store after he got home.

In the meantime, I searched for those goofy cards (not just my personal visa card, but also my business visa card as well.).  I searched.  And searched.  And searched.  I even called the grocery store and asked them to look through their lost and found.  Nothing.  Zip. Nada.

When Tex came home, he looked for the cards, as well . . . and got the same results.

By now, it was probably around 4pm . . . probably around the time that I had originally envisioned Tex coming home from softball practice and my taking the cheese crackers out of the oven.  We go to the store, buy lovely ingredients and come home.  Tex turns on the race, and I get to hustling in the kitchen.




I hafta tell y'all - I had a ball making those crackers!  It was my first time do so, plus I also got to use a pastry cutter tool for the first time as well (having received such implement as a Christmas gift). 

By the time the crackers were finished, the race was half-over, there was flour all over my sturdy blue canvas apron and the kitchen was beginning to look a bit haggard.  Oh, and the puppy girls?  Lizzee was snoozing in the living room, in front of the TV, and Echo was doing her best to get in my way because she was on the look-out for edible morsels that might fall from the counter down to the floor. 

During all of this, Tex had munched on nuts and potato chips (and in a rare throw of a chocolate fix - THREE chocolate bars!!!).  But, he said he still wanted some crackers.  The man not only has a two hollow legs, but hollow arms and torso, as well.

After the crackers were baked, cooled and eaten, I got started on the potato boats for dinner.
Uhm, yeah . . . we started eating those just as Jimmie Johnson (while in the winner's circle) was hoisting the trophy he had just won, after winning the race. 

And my kitchen?  You really don't want to know; trust me on this.

So much for June Clever hanging around yesterday.
Ha!

All-in-all, it really was a nice day.  Unexpected things happened, and we rolled with them. 


*~*~*~*~*
I will probably always envision the future outcomes of things from a June Clever mindset.  That's ok.  I also know that it's not reality; and sometimes I just have to laugh at myself for such imaginings in the first place.

*~*~*~*~*
BTW, here's the before and after pictures of the crackers (and we were both pretty pleased with how they tasted!):




*~*~*~*~*
Oh, and my visa cards?  No worries.  I cancelled them today and ordered new ones.  Also, no inappropriate activity was found on neither of them.  That's a major praise report!

*~*~*~*~*
Lastly (but definitely not least), I also want to say that Tex and I have been praying for everyone who was injured in Saturday night's race.

Thanks for reading, y'all!
Be blessed.
Yours,
June
















No comments:

Post a Comment