Friday, October 18, 2013

Dairy-free Sausage / Potato / Kale Soup

About a year ago, one of our nieces sent me a recipe link and asked me if I could modify it to being dairy-free.  And, so I did.  And, it seemed to be a hit.  That's always a plus, doncha know.  Always.

A few days ago, I posted on Facebook about a one-woman cooking marathon day I was holding; and one of the dishes I mentioned was the Sausage / Potato / Kale soup (dairy-free).  I've since received a couple of requests for the recipe; and so I decided to share it here in Swirlings.

A few notable mentions, before I post the recipe . . .

I am a hands-on, go-with-the flow kinda cook.  I don't always follow the recipe; not even ones that I've created myself or ones that I've modified from other people's recipes.  I improvise.  I go with the flow.  Truth be known, I pretty-much do whatever I want when I'm cooking.  Baking?  That's a different story; I *usually* follow the recipe . . . well as closely as possible anyway.  Ha!

Specific to this recipe: 
  • Sometimes I thinly slice the potatoes just like the directions lead; other times I usually dice or rough chop the potatoes.  Do y'all know how much time it takes to thinly-slice potatoes without a mandoline?  My goodness!
  • The recipe calls for Italian Sausage.  Several months ago, I stopped using sausage (any kind) (in / with / for anything) and switched to ground pork (I then dress up the pork with sage, basil and/or other herbs).  Did y'all know that most sausages contains corn syrup?!  And - if you know me, then you know that I do not intentionally eat nor prepare food using containing corn syrup.  There ya go.
  • I usually (always) use 2 pounds of meat (not just a measley 1 - 1.5 pounds).
  • It's much quicker for me to use scissors and cut up the kale than it is for me to tear the kale into pieces with my hands.  Just another time saver that I like to employ.
  • And just this very moment, as I was pasting the recipe into this blog post, I realized that I did not add the red pepper flakes into the soup from a few days ago.  'Tis a sadness, to be sure; I like red pepper flakes.
 
 
OK - on with the recipe:

Dairy-Free Sausage, Potato & Kale Soup
by Sharmie

Ingredients
2 bunches Kale (more, if desired)

12 whole Red Potatoes, sliced thin (peeling left on)

1 whole Onion, chopped

1-1/2 pound Italian Sausage

1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more to taste)

2-3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth

Fresh or Dried Oregano

Black (or white) Pepper To Taste (my preference for this recipe is white pepper)

PLUS
4-6 additional red potatoes (Quartered. Your choice as to whether to peel them or not)

2-4 additional cups low sodium chicken broth

 
Preparation InstructionsClean the kale; tear into bit-size pieces. Set it aside.

In a medium pot, boil sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, pour 2 cups additional chicken stock into a blender. In an additional medium pot, boil the quartered potatoes until tender. Drain and add to blender. Set aside to cool a bit (without blending, yet).
Brown the sausage in the same manner that you would brown ground beef. Drain the fat.

Stir in red pepper flakes, oregano and 2 cups chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Adjust seasonings as desired.

Blend together the chicken stock and quartered potatoes in the blender, increasing the speed incrementally. Add more chicken stock as necessary. The puree should be a consistency between liquid and paste; more thick than thin.

Add sliced potatoes to soup mixture.

Slowly add potato / chicken stock mixture from blender into soup mixture. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add kale to soup mixture. Simmer for about 5 minutes; then serve.

*~*~*~*~*
I hope y'all enjoy this recipe.  If you have any questions or comments, please let me know, here in Swirlings.  If you like this recipe, please share this blog post to your Facebook world.

Thanks for reading!
Be blessed,
Sharmie

*~*~*~*~*
p.s. -
The above recipe was modified from a recipe on the Pioneer Woman’s website.  The original recipe calls for over 6 cups of combined whole milk, half & half and heavy cream.  In my recipe above, all 3 of those ingredients have been replaced with potatoes and chicken stock (in addition to the potatoes and chicken stock called for in the original recipe).

If you would like the original recipe that contains dairy, click HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment