Friday, November 2, 2012

B2 - Princess Phones

Y'all remember these?   :)

They're called Princess Phones. 
 
They've been around since the late '50s, but I seem to remember their being most popular in the '70s.  They came in an array of colors, which was pretty avant gard back then . . . at least, in my own personal perception of what was hip and cool.  That last part might be a paradox; the jury's still out on that.  They were simply the fun phone!
 

Today, I am sincerely grateful for Princess Phones.

As of yesterday, Tex and I had heard from everyone we knew who had been in Hurricane Sandy's path . . . all, except for one person.  We were especially concerned about him because he lives in an area that carried mandatory evacuation and that also saw a lot of damage as Sandy vented her storm.

Yesterday, I decided to try to contact our friend.  I first called his cell phone, but it went straight to voice mail.  So, I said a silent prayer and called his home number.  And what do you know?!  He was home!

He has no electricty nor internet, and my first phone call (to his cell) went straight to voice mail because all of the cell towers in his area are currently not operational.  But, he did have residential phone service.  And!  If it were not for his Princess phone that he still has, he wouldn't have had any phone service at all because his other landline phones - the newer and more modern ones - all require electricity to operate.  A Princess phone just simply plugs into the phone outlet in the wall . . . and Voila! 

We had a good conversation.  He assured me that he and his family were ok.  He and Tex even talked to each other by quoting Monty Python lines.  There ya go.  Do with that what you will.

SO!  Thank you, Father, for our friend's safety and for Your Covering in his life.  Thank you for "outdated" technology that will work when modern technology failes.  Thank you for Princess phones!


*~*~*~*~*
What about y'all?
What is something that you are thankful for today, this 2nd day of 30 days of Thankfulness?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know he is ok - hope he got a few pictures...

    MBee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a "princess" phone, but I do have a hard-wired landline on the wall in the kitchen, and I'll never give it up, just for these reasons. It's a security thing. So what if I'm paying extra? My safety is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most certainly are correct, Pam!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete